The First Ever National Dim Sum week
To raise awareness of and celebrate the mighty morsels of flavour known as Dim Sum, Chinatown, London, is launching National Dim Sum Week – a mouth-watering event which will take place from 30 June to 6 July.
So what exactly is Dim Sum?
The name ‘Dim Sum’ comes from the common Cantonese term for snacks – and means ‘order what you fancy’, or ‘eating snacks for pleasure’. The Chinese traditionally eat them over a leisurely lunch and the wide variety means they make great sharing platters to enjoy with friends.
Flavours can be sweet, spicy, hot or sour and the most popular are crispy spring rolls, soft spicy dumplings mini ribs and coated seafood snacks. As Dim Sum snacks are all bite-sized they make ideal finger food, especially with some tasty dipping sauces as an accompaniment. And with a wide variety of non-meat options, they’re great way to offer something new for your vegetarian customers.
So why not join in the Dim Sum celebration and introduce a few new items to your summer menu?
We’ve some great ideas to whet your and your customers’ appetites – all readily available from Total Foodservice of course!
- Mini Vegetable Dim Sum Selection - A delicious selection including vegetable samosas, vegetable money bags and sweet & sour vegetable crackers.
- Mini Vegetable Spring Rolls - A high quality, great-tasting spring roll made to an authentic recipe with fresh ingredients.
- Honey & Ginger Spring Rolls - Shredded cabbage, onions, carrots and mushrooms, cooked with rice noodles in a sweet ginger sauce.
- Mini Duck Spring Rolls - Crispy mini duck spring rolls with sachets of plum sauce.
- Chilli Mango Prawns - Crumb-coated, butterflied prawns spread with a spicy mango chilli jam.
- Salt & Pepper Squid Pieces - Tender pineapple cut squid pieces with a salt and pepper coating.
And to accompany for dipping or cooking
- Dark Soy Sauce
- Plum Sauce
- Thai Sweet Chilli Sauce
- Wine-Mirin (Sweet Sake)
Enjoy Dim Sum Week and don’t forget to promote your menu using the official #doyoudimsum hashtag